Friday, October 27, 2017

Diverse Sources
Chris Harris | crh187@txstate.edu

 

Name: Ashita K Patel
Classification: Junior
Race/Ethnicity: Asian
Gender: Female
Generation: 18-25
Geography: Austin, TX

1: What is your opinion on the National Anthem protest?
“I agree to disagree, because at first I could see why it happened and I was like, okay this guy is standing out and he’s part of the team. So, if one person steps down it looks like everyone is stepping down. But, how it’s being made by the president and everything it’s becoming more and more political rather than him just protesting for, what he was protesting for. Like the meaning of why he took a knee, why Colin Copernic took a knee is completely lost now.

2: What does the protest represent?
 At first it was for the Black Lives Matter and now I think it’s just to piss off the president.

3: Are you for or against the protest? Why?
I’m not completely against it. But, I don’t support them because everyone is still part of the country, they are still a part of that nation. By doing that, they aren’t being a part of that nation. We don’t look like we’re a strong nation."

4: Did you hear about the person who sang the national anthem at a basketball game then kneeled after the last note? How does that make you feel?

"I did not. I think that’s a really powerful statement though. She stood while she sang the national anthem. Did she stand? Yeah, if she stood she respected it but she also said, like, hey I’m showing my respect. But, at the end of the day, I don’t agree with what’s going on.

No comments: