Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Sources- Jessica Lee

    Quotes collected by: Logan Sceroler
Source: Jessica Lee
   

   1.     "What is your opinion about the President Trump’s immigration polices that are affecting people across the country?" 

"Honestly, as an immigrant myself, I don’t like him. I guess the criminal side of it, if he plans to kick out criminals, even then - where would he send them? It’s not like there’s an island for them. And Mexico has its own problems so even if whatever or whoever they’re sending, like, they aren’t all from Mexico but they are just deciding to send them over there, whether it’s their country or not- which, I don’t agree with."

   2.    " What if anything concerns you about the new law? And the development of the wall?"

"I mean, I think the wall is stupid altogether. But also, not all immigrants are bad. Like most of us are just trying to help, if anything. We want to help ourselves and help wherever we are leaving, and so, I don’t necessarily agree because if America was built on immigration, why would we stop it? It is a melting pot."

3.     "So you said you were an immigrant yourself, what was your reason for coming to America?"

"Well, there was a job opportunity for my mom, and also just Mexican corruption got too bad. I mean, my Dad got threatened twice. One of them he got a gun held up to the head, and the other one by the phone. It’s something that for the two years before we moved here we, before we made the final decision, it was very concerning because we didn't know whether me and my sisters were going to get kidnapped or not. So it’s not a world that I would like to remain living in or my children to be living in. That’s the case in Mexico, but that doesn’t mean that’s going to happen here. We are just looking for a better future."

4.     "Why should or why shouldn’t illegal immigrants be detained?"

"Undocumented, I think, because I know a few students myself, I know of people, I mean, from being Mexican, I know people that are not completely legal here in the country. But, with the IRS they still need to pay taxes. They are doing all the things Americans are doing, like, that are already citizens. So, I believe that if they’re making the effort to be just as good as Americans than they should be able to be Americans, themselves."

5.    " How do you feel about ongoing discussions with university administrations to deem Texas State a “Sanctuary Campus?” Do you think that status would affect how safe students feel on campus?"

"I think the fact that the fliers are going on, you know, the white supremacy ones, it was a little bit scary. Also, I heard that ICE was going to come on Bobcat Day. It’s just something that worries me for the sake of other students, more than myself. And so, even if tuition goes up by whatever it needs to go up for like $5-$10, then I think it’s safe to say that more students will want to come here, just because they’ll be safe regardless of their immigration status. "

No comments: