Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Sources Interview

Quotes collected by : Trista Castillo
Source: Arjun Bains
Applied Arts & Sciences Senior

Question 1: What is your opinion about the President Trump’s immigration policies that are affecting people across the county?

"I feel like the intention is good but it is not being executed in the right way, so if you want to stop terrorists that’s not the right way to do it, because you’re trying to stop innocent people -you know, and that’s not stopping anything."

Question 2. What if anything concerns you about the new law? 
"What concerns me is that not every one coming in here is bad or a terrorists or is breaking the law. Some people are here to escape bad places and find new ones. "


Quotes collected by: Trista Castillo
*Asked not to be pictured*
Source: Michael Cody
English Senior

Question 1.  What is your opinion about the President Trump’s immigration policies that are affecting people across the county?

"No I do not agree with this president’s policies on immigration I think his policies on immigrations are going to lead to a fracturing on our greater society which ultimately weakens ours society."

Question 3. Why should or why shouldn't immigrants be detained?

"I don't think they should be detained, for what?"

Question 4. Do you personally know someone who is illegal? How does that influence your opinion? 

"No I don’t, but I have dealt as a nurse with what I like to call new arrivals. I know many people right now that came in legally instead of illegally into this country my wife who has the daughter of my child and her family from Acuna decided to migrate over here in the 1970’s it took 17 years to legally migrate into Del Rio and they did it and I am astounded to hear her Hispanic perception to where she says no grab them and throw them the hell out...why should they come over here and break the law. She says that they are just lazy and it isn’t impossible for Mexicans to get in and she was a part of a poor Mexican family."

Question 5. How do You feel about ongoing discussion with university administration to deem Texas State a "Sanctuary Campus?" Do you think that status would affect how safe students feel on campus?

"Actually, I think that Texas State is not going to be able to do so. Certain states can, but because the government the President of the University's hands are tied. Trauth can't do anything unless the government allows so, but I don't think that Texas State will become a sanctuary campus, because all of this is State property and we have to abide by the state. "

No comments: