Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Sources Interview

Photo taken from: Texas State
University School of Journalism
and Mass Communication website.
Quotes collected by: Kelli West
Source: Olga Mayoral Wilson
From: Puerto Rico
Public Relations Senior Lecturer

Question 1: What is your opinion about the President Trump’s immigration policies that are affecting people across the country?

“When I started looking at this Trump thing I started thinking, first of all, he didn’t run on any platform. To me, that was never seen before. Since I am in communications and have always been interested in politics and I worked in Washington D.C. lobbying, I know how things work and I always thought this was really weird. I am against the policy; I think it goes against the fiber of America itself.”

Question 2: What if anything concerns you about the new law?

“Everything. This is just the beginning. If he continues with this, I think it is going to get worse because he is working under the influence of white supremacists and you see that in the people around him. They only think of America first and no one else. It’s like moving back to the 40’s. It really hurts to tell you the truth.”

Question 3: Why should or why shouldn’t illegal immigrants be detained?

 “I don’t think they should be detained. They are doing it at the airport and I know theyre doing it at the border as well and I’m really concerned about how they will be doing this. Get the ones that are criminals maybe, but the ones that have stayed here so long that they have a family here and a job, they are American citizens. Just work with them so that they become citizens. Basically, what he’s doing is just closing doors."

Question 4: Do you personally know someone who is illegal? How does that influence your opinion?

“Personally, yes, in the work force. They work gardening and stuff like that. I worry for them because I know they are hard-working people and I don’t know how long they will stay, but they do not influence my opinion on the policies. I just worry.”

Question 5: How do you feel about ongoing discussions with university administrations to deem Texas State a “Sanctuary Campus?” Do you think that status would affect how safe students feel on campus?  


“I think it should continue even though I know that the university has to abide by the state. Whatever the state decides is what it’s going to be but I think the conversation needs to keep going. Even if it’s not accomplished, we have to protect the students that are here that might not be legal. I think safety depends on the students on the right getting more vocal because as trump gains more power, then whoever believes in what he’s doing is going to get more radical.”

Question 6: Have you felt a change in the way people perceive or talk to you since Trump has been elected?

"Not really but I am much more careful because when I open my mouth the accent is there. I think I am more careful because where I live is very to the right. I'm more careful in everything. It's sad. My husband is American, full blood, and he even says he's never seen anything like this."


No comments: