Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Sources Interview

Joseph Bogorad
Photo credit to ktsw.txstate.edu/about/cpntact

Quotes collected by: Chandler Watson
Source: Joseph Bogorad
Senior majoring in Finance
Hometown: Brownsville, Texas

Question 1: What is your opinion about President Trump’s immigration policies that are affecting people across the country?
“I don’t agree with his policies. I also believe and evidence has proved that immigrants improve economies.”

Question 2: What if anything concerns you about the new law?
“It doesn’t affect me directly, but indirectly. I have a friend from Lebanon and it can have an impact in our lives and our community. If our leader is saying that a group of people are terrorists or want to cause harm then that mentality is going to pass onto our community, and I would not like to be a part of a community where uneducated biases are present.”

Question 3: Why should or shouldn’t illegal immigrants be detained?
“There is a way to get inside of a country and a way not to. Some people go through the entire process of citizenship and learn the culture, props to them. Other times people have a golden ticket and the get in illegally because they hear America is the land of golden opportunity. I don’t think every illegal immigrant should be detained, only the ones who have done harm to our country and aren’t here to prosper with everyone else.”

Question 4: Do you personally know someone who is illegal? How does that influence your opinion?
“Not personally, but my family has lived in the valley for about 9 years now, and it’s right on the border. There are many people who just cross the border there to go back-and-forth to work. Most people who work in the states in my town are from Mexico and cross illegally, and with President Trump saying he’s going to build a wall really scares people because they know they won’t be able to get to work anymore. The economy will be hurt badly from the lack of workers in that area. Even my own mother was pretty scared from the whole thing, yes she has her papers, but there’s still that fear of not knowing whether or not an individual will be detained.”

Question 5: How do you feel about the ongoing discussions with university administrations to deem Texas State a “Sanctuary Campus”? Do you think that status will affect how safe students feel on campus?
“I haven’t educated myself too much on the sanctuary matter but I know the governor of Texas was going to take away funding towards Austin because they wanted to have a sanctuary city, from my knowledge it’s like protecting people. I feel like it will make people on campus feel safer, but technically it’s like breaking the law. So, I do feel that it would make kids feel safer but it seems like a bad thing overall.”

Question 6: How do you think the presidency so far is going with the policies in place?

“I think it’s embarrassing for the most part; we’re taking a step back. In my economics class, my professor talked quite a bit about capitalism and how much it has expanded. The republican administration has had some drastic changes since Reagan was in office, and now it seems like we’re onto a more Liberal capitalism. The reason for the big change is that we don’t know what’s to come in the future and that’s why most people voted for president Trump.”


No comments: