Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Sources Interview 

Quotes collected by: Chaitlin Bell
Source: Jordan Azcue
22, Philosophy major at Texas State University

Question 1: What is your opinion about the President Trump’s immigration polices that are affecting people across the country? 

"It's unfortunate because although some people may not have full citizenship here, they still pay taxes in one way or another. There are a lot of people who have built families here and there are education programs here that you can't get everywhere else, and I don't think you can just tear people from their homes. My roommate has family who is here illegally and it breaks my heart seeing her fight for her family to stay where they believe is their home."

Question 2: What if anything concerns you about the new law? 

"I'm worried about the people who need to come here for other reasons other than just to "take our jobs" like some in the republican party may believe. For example, one of my uncles met a woman online that lived in Vietnam who was ill and he sent her money but he wanted her to live here with him and get married so he could take care of her, and they were able to get married but she couldn’t come here. He had to live in Vietnam for seven years to care for her, but he ended up getting sick and neither could get the medical attention they needed due to restrictions and these laws may only make it worse. 

Question 3: Why should or why shouldn’t illegal immigrants be detained? 

"If you just pick someone up from where they work or live, you can't just send them away because they've built a life here whether it's "legal" or not. They are here and they do contribute to our communities. Not all Mexican's come here for criminal or drug reasons"

Question 4: Do you personally know someone who is illegal? How does that influence your opinion? 

"My grandfather came from Cuba at 14 and he was not a citizen until his 40's. It caused a lot of problems for him and his wife because they couldn’t get the benefits they needed. He tried hard to be a citizen then, and it was such a hassle that I cant imagine what it's going to be like for the future of our nation" 

Question 5: How do you feel about ongoing discussions with university administrations to deem Texas State a “Sanctuary Campus?” Do you think that status would affect how safe students feel on campus?  

"I believe that a Sanctuary Campus at Texas is really vital because being so close to Mexico, our percentage of immigrants is higher than anywhere else. I think that Texas State is a great place to do it because it is such a great school and it's so diverse. I actually know a student here who is an immigrant and doesn't have the necessary documents, and I think that she's a great part of our community and her citizenship status shouldn't make a difference in her education."

Question 6: What can we as students do to fight back against this law? 

" I think our generation as students and millennials I think that although we have a lot to say about politics, a lot of us didn't partake in the actual voting process. Most of my friends didn't vote, I didn’t vote and I'm seeing the consequences of my ignorance and laziness. I felt like I didn't know what was going on and that it was going to matter but now this needs to be a wake up call for all of us to be more involved and start speaking up." 

No comments: