Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Sources- Chezelle De La Peña

 Quotes collected by: Jennifer Karotkin
Source: Chezelle De La Peña
From: Round Rock, TX
Junior at Texas State University
Education major

Question 1:  What is your opinion about President Trump's immigration policies that are affecting people across the country?


"I don't agree with his policies.  I think that they are going to affect people negatively and I don't necessarily think that they are humane."

Question 2: What, if anything, concerns you about the new law?


"A lot of it concerns me.  As someone who is apart of the Latino community, I can see a lot of people's families in my community being torn apart.  A lot of people I'm close to can be affected by this."


Question 4: Do you personally know someone who is illegal?  How does this influence your opinion?

“I don’t know anybody who is illegal, but I do know people who are undocumented, and it does influence my opinion.  These are people in my community; people who I go to school with, people who I live next to, they are apart of my life.  I would never want to see someone who I’m close, who I care about, to have their life fall apart because of their status in this country.  I think we need a better way to address this.”

Question 5: How do you feel about ongoing discussions with university administrations to deem Texas State a "Sanctuary Campus?"  Do you think that status would affect how safe students feel on campus?


“I think it would.  I have a friend that graduated at the top of our class and they are undocumented, and I know that it would affect their learning environment a great deal.  They have worked so hard all their life to come to this point of learning.”   


Question 6: Do you think the policies will be effective in the long run?

"I personally don’t, and if they do, I’m sure things will get worse.  The fear instilled with these policies now will just make this country seem like less of a place of opportunity and diversity, and I think that’s important that America keep that image up.”

No comments: