Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Diverse Source Interview


Quotes collected by: Mariah Vega
Source: DaMia Breathett
Age: 20
Classification: Sophomore
Major: Theatre Education
Hometown: Memphis, Tennessee 

Question 1: What is your opinion about the President Trump’s immigration policies that are affecting people across the country?


“I think that he is a little extreme. I mean, I know he’s trying to protect our country and all but I think there’s a different way to go about it and that should be in manner that’s respectful of the people because that’s who he’s supposed to be doing his job for.”

Question 2: What if anything concerns you about the new law?

“What concerns me is that the immigrants and just the countries he’s trying to cut off, I think that’s just going to make not only them, but also other countries more aggressive towards the United States. I think it’s going to mess up foreign policy and just our relationship with them in general.”

Question 3: Why should or why shouldn’t illegal immigrants be detained?

“Honestly, I don’t think illegal immigrants are doing anything that extreme that someone should just feel like they are messing up our country. I don’t think they should be detained. I obviously think that they should try to become legal citizens of the United States, but that’s a long process so I think their thoughts should be taken into consideration.”

Question 4: Do you personally know someone who is illegal? How does that influence your opinion?

“I don’t, but I know people who have family members and things so just hearing their stories just makes me a little more compassionate about things.”

Question 5: How do you feel about ongoing discussions with university administrations to deem Texas State a “Sanctuary Campus?” Do you think that status would affect how safe students feel on campus?

“I think that’s a great idea. I don’t understand why anybody would feel like immigrants are messing up their ‘safeness’ or security here on campus. If you don’t know they are illegal then how do you know that they are harming you? Honestly, the person sitting beside you could be more harmful than a person from another country. I think everyone should just stop being a baby about it.”

No comments: