Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Diverse Sources:Interview

Quotes collected by: Sarah Haley
Source: Jose Velez
Year: Senior
Age:23
Hometown: Pflugerville
Major: Business Management Major


     Texas State has reached record-setting enrollment for 18 consecutive years. How have you been affected by the increased enrollment?
       "I really wouldn't know but certain times in the computer lab in the business school I have to wait for my turn."
Yes, and long lines for computers in the library too?
"Yes that too! And the parking! I don't even try to park here anymore."
I actually park at my church it's in front of the quad and it's really nice. I have to go to my scripture classes, but a lot of people don't have that."
What Church do you go to?
"Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Its a Mormon church."
How was the increased enrollment impacted growth at the city-level?
" I guess San Marcos is big just because of the students right? I feel like if it wasn't for the university then no one would care to live here."

What do you think the university should do to address the growth in population?
"From what I can tell it is really easy to get into Texas State, I don't know if they're trying to become more selective or be a higher ranked researching school."
What changes have you seen in your classes or job?
"The parking that I have at my Church is one of the things they advertise because they even know how hard the parking is here."
 
Do you think the university should continue to grow?
     "I really don't know, Im not sure how they operate financially, with sports, or teachers that they have. I do know that Texas State could do more satellite locations because I also attend the Round Rock Campus, and I'm sure that cold alleviate some of the traffic that they have here. They do not have many classes offered at Round Rock so if they increased the course load there and at other  locations that could possibly help them as well."
Do you think the increase is good or bad for San Marcos?
      "It's probably good for San Marcos to have business and increase business for those around them. I actually used to work at a H-E-B in Austin and that H-E-B was the highest volume store in the entire company. So H-E-B and other companies probably thrive off the large amount of students here."

No comments: