Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Diverse Sources Exercise Interview 1

Quotes collected by: Kaley Consford
Source: Erica Madera
Age: 21
Classification: Senior
Major: Spanish & Communication Design 
Hometown: San Marcos, TX

Texas State has reached record-setting enrollment for 18 consecutive years. How have you been affected by the increased enrollment?

“It hasn’t really affected me too much personally, but I have noticed that the buses are always really crowded. I think they need more routes or buses to keep up with the growing student population so that getting to campus is more easily accessible.”

How has the increased enrollment impacted growth at the city-level?

“I’ve noticed that there is a lot more construction on campus and in San Marcos in general. You can tell that the city and the university are constantly trying to keep up with the rapid growth. Another thing I’ve noticed is the increased crime. I feel like the more people there are the more crimes have occurred.”

What do you think the university should do to address the growth in population?

“I feel that the university needs to start having higher enrollment requirements to get into Texas State. If they make it harder to get accepted, then maybe the growth of the population would slow down a little.”

What changes have you seen in your classes or job?

“Well I haven’t seen a lot of changes because I’m in senior level classes and those classes are meant to stay relatively small, but I’m sure that basic level classes are crazy full.”

Do you think the university should continue to grow? Why, and do you think the increase is good or bad for San Marcos?

“I think the increase in growth is good for Texas State, because it’s getting our name out there, and shows other people that we do have a good reputation and a good school. I do not however think the growth is good for San Marcos, because this town is a small town and there’s only so much room for growth. We’re located between two very large cities and if we continue to grow were just going to become one large metropolitan area.”

No comments: