Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Diverse Sources 1

Quotes collected by: Anna Herod
Source: Megan Osburn, 20
Identifying information: elementary education junior, from Houston, Texas



Q:Texas State has reached record-setting enrollment for 18 consecutive years? How has the growing student body affected you?

A: I mostly notice it in my role as spirit chair for my sorority. We are always needing to rent a room in the LBJ Student Center, but if you don't schedule multiple weeks in advance, you get turned away. From what I've heard, the school is going to expand the building because of this problem. I don't think it would be an issue if it weren't for the size of the student body. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just one of the affects I've noticed. And it will be cool to have a new and improved student center, too.

Q: How do you feel about growth of the university? Do you feel Texas State officials are handling it well?

A: I like the fact that I go to a big university, so yeah, I think it's a good thing. More people just makes for a more diverse environment where you get to learn alongside a lot of different kinds of people. It just enriches the experience. I think the university is handling it well because they are talking about things like expanding LBJ, renovating dining halls and building new dorms, etc. Parking is the only area that isn't so great.

Q: What is your experience with parking on campus and how do you feel it is related to the increase of the student population?

A: Parking on campus is a nightmare for everyone. I think we all agree to that. Permits are just super expensive and then even when you buy one, you can't find a parking spot during the day unless it's way out by the stadium. The only thing that offsets that is the fact that there are buses out by the stadium, so even if you have to park that far away, you don't have to walk all the way to the middle of campus if you don't want to. But I still feel that the university could do better when it comes to parking. As for how it is related to the increase, of course if you have more people you are going to have a tighter parking situation.

No comments: