Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Diverse Source 2

Quotes collected by: Lara Dietrich
Source: Joe Gonzales
Identifying information: From Austin, Texas. Biology sophomore.

 Texas State has reached record-setting enrollment for 18 consecutive years. How have you been affected by the increased enrollment?

“Actually after my freshman year I was supposed to stay in the dorm and they offered me money to move out so they could have room for the freshmen. I ended up having to stay off campus in an apartment. It kind of changed my experience because I expected to stay in a dorm all throughout college.”

How has the increased enrollment impacted growth at the city-level?

“With the business I feel like you can see more businesses are coming back all along the square, there’s a bunch of new facilities.”

What do you think the university should do to address the growth in population?

“Personally it’s kind of messed up because when I got in I had a really low GPA, I went to E-Stars. But I would say have higher requirements as far as grades and everything goes, like if they want to make it a pristine university.”

What changes have you seen in your classes or job?

“When I first started here I guess the classes were kind of small, but now I’m in classes where there’s like 300 people. There’s just way more people in my classes.”

Do you think the university should continue to grow? Why, and do you think the increase is good or bad for San Marcos?

“I think the university should continue to grow because it’s Texas State University, whenever you see other state universities they’re like big D1 schools and I would like to see that here. I think it would be great for San Marcos just because you can see all the businesses, it’s giving more jobs to the community and everything, so yeah, I think it would be great.” 

No comments: