Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Disverse Interview 2

Source: Jessica Tavera
Interview by: Sarah Haley
Year: Junior
Age: 21
Hometown: Luling
Major: Criminal Justice


.      Texas State has reached record-setting enrollment for 18 consecutive years. How have you been affected by the increased enrollment?
"I would have to say more traffic, more people on campus, waiting on the busses longer, more people on the bus routes. I live on Mill St. and its a really big property so I have to wait for the bus, and that's like more people are moving in and they're building more stuff. Its time confliction I guess."

Do you ever try to get on the bus and it's so packed you can't even get on?
"Usually it takes me two or three times to get on the buss during certain hours. It's the worst on the first week of classes and finals week because in between those people just stop showing up."

 How was the increased enrollment impacted growth at the city-level?
"I guess its good because we are having more revenue and the games with alumni support plus the amazon distribution center. It's massive and there's going to be a lot of new jobs created there."
 
What do you think the university should do to address the growth in population?
" I feel like they should plan accordingly also with the city planner knowing that our university is growing every year with incoming freshman because of social media they want to come here and party, which is not always the case for other students. That's why a lot of people come here though, but if feel like it has died down a lot since my freshman year. The new bridge that they're building is good but it's going to be so hectic."
 
What changes have you seen in your classes or job?
"I haven't seen any changes really in my classes that are a normal size about 60 to 80. Other than some classes get filled quicker whether that's due to transfers or what, but I am in my major classes now so I feel like it is other people coming in from other universities. I do feel my classes are a but bigger now than they were last semester."

Do you still fee like you are getting a good education and that they are addressing the problems well?
"Yes I do. For the most part they are and I know they have other things and classes they have to worry about, but I feel like I am getting what I'm paying for."
 
Do you think the university should continue to grow?
"Yea and no. I have one more year here so their growth will not really effect me. I feel like they should because they will get money either way and it will help our city much more."

Why, and do you think the increase is good or bad for San Marcos?
"I feel like its good as for right now and we have a lot of constructing going on in San Marcos. A lot of people don't know about this town. When you go to other places were like Go Bobcats and their like who? I feel like we should definitely grow to represent our name and get our name out there."

No comments: