Friday, October 2, 2015

Diverse Sources


Sources collected by Amy Glass

Megan Deitschel – age 21 – junior – art

1. How has increased enrollment affected you?

“My classes are still the same size and I’m in senior classes so I’m not with the freshman. The rec is more crowded! Honestly, the rec is not big enough for how many students we have here at all. More construction going on since we need more dorms, and I don’t like that.”

2. Should the university continue to grow?

“I’m graduating in a year, so I don’t know. Yes, because it makes us look good, but no because we don’t have the space. Not in the city or the university.”

3. Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here? Why?

“I didn’t want a tiny school. I wanted lecture classes. And my dad taught here and it’s close to home.”
  
4. What do you think is the most important thing Texas State can do to make up for the increased in enrollment?


“Perhaps finish Jones! Building more is just going to mean more construction. They could make more parking garages.”


Kathleen Jenkins – age 21 – senior – anthropology major

1. How has increased enrollment affected you?

“I have complaints. The rec is a complete disaster, especially the beginning of the year. I’ve noticed it increase every year I’ve been here. Maybe there’s other reasons for that, but definitely the rec. The quad. Walking through the quad and hitting everybody and people are walking really slow. Too many pamphlets.”

2. Should the university continue to grow?

“I’d say yes, as long as with the growth you match the infrastructure. Especially with parking. I don’t drive, but I hear everybody complain about it. If you’re gonna grow, match the infrastructure with that. Even though Texas State doesn’t have as much funding as A&M or UT, because we don’t have a good football team.”

3. Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here? Why?

“No. It was the location and the fact that I was applying to places last minute. But I kind of thought about the size, because I knew it was twice as big as Sam Houston, because I was transferring from Sam Houston… OH, traffic! Traffic has increased, especially on Sessom.”

4. What do you think is the most important think Texas State can do to make up for the increased in enrollment?

“Build more buildings. Because they’re working on building more sidewalks and stuff, which is great. But building more accessible walkways, larger buildings or more building or just enlarging certain buildings, especially anthropology and the liberal arts building is just not very big. The business school got their new building. Which I know that’s what they’re doing, because of increased funding.”

No comments: