Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Diverse Sources Irene Casanova

Quotes collected by: Irene Casanova
Source: Karla Raymundo
Occupation: Student Spanish and Sociology Major
Hometown: El Paso, TX
Age: 21

1. The university had a record enrollment of 38,006 students last year and is expected to have a record or near-record again this year. How has this increased enrollment affected you?

"It's a big change compared to the past years. It's a lot more crowded. Just getting from one point to another on campus is like traffic everywhere. Even with the bus, even though I have the fastest route here, it still gets full. By the time we get to The Edge, the bus is already completely full. I have seen it, not just in school, but all around campus."

2. Does it make you feel flustered?

"I figure the school needs to get bigger, faster. It's frustrating. All the construction and changing of roads. If you were used to, last semester, taking a certain route, you go to that same route and it's no longer there. There are too many changes."

3. Should the university continue to grow and why?

"I honestly picked this school because it wasn't a big university, but then being here made me realize it's such a good university--a great place to study--so why not be part part of something big? I feel like Texas State could be the next UT, to be honest. Just like UT is all over Austin, I feel like Texas State is going to take over San Marcos.

4. Looking at it from that point, you're right.

"Even the streets downtown are changing. Everything goes around campus. The roads were going one way at one point. [The] next thing you know, they change to another. The city is even changing around the school."

5. Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here and why?

"Like I told you, I came here because the university was small. Not just because it was small--it offered a lot of stuff, and I fell in love with the place--and I love this school because it's awesome. It take more time to get from one point to another, but we have to make compromises."

6. If you could choose between the old Texas State and the new one, which one would you prefer?

"The small one, definitely. That's why I chose this. I didn't like busy or loud. The cost of living is getting higher because of the amount of people that are coming to this town."

No comments: