Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Diverse source exercise

Quotes collected by: Avery Ambrose
SOURCE: Lauren Palmer
Identifying information about source: Lauren Palmer, sophmore, age 19, from Leander, Texas, communications major, works part-time at Whataburger.



Question 1: The university had a record enrollment of 38,006 students last year and is expected to have a record or near-record again this year. How has this increased enrollment affected you?

“More packed classes, uhm parking is a [struggle] and transportation is always difficult because the busses are overcrowded most days which can cause you to be late to class.”

Question 2: Should the university continue to grow?

“Yes of course! I do think that but I also think that because of the growth they need to improve things around campus. They need to improve the transportation systems, more parking, and adjust class sizes or the size of the classrooms.”

Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here? Why? (Consider- can this question apply to more than just students?)

“The size did not necessarily influence me. I knew that I wanted to come to this school because it was very diverse but that does not mean that there has to be a lot of people I guess. I mostly came to this school because I really liked the atmosphere. The trees and the river”

Question 4: Do you live on or off campus?

“I actually live off campus, I live in an apartment.”

Question 5: Do you drive to campus or take the bus?

“I take the bus and that’s always a challenge because of the overcrowding, its always packed.”

Quotes collected by: Avery Ambrose
SOURCE: Brandon Tanner
Identifying information about source: Brandon Tanner, junior, age 21, from Lockhart, Texas, Organizational communication major.


Question 1: 
The university had a record enrollment of 38,006 students last year and is expected to have a record or near-record again this year. How has this increased enrollment affected you?

“The increase in enrollment has affected me by causing overpopulation I feel like there is a lot of people here. The quad is extremely busy and makes it hard to get to class in a timely manner. I don’t feel like the classrooms are supportive enough for all the people in them. Those are the major three things that I have a problem with. Oh and the library, like waiting for a computer is insane.”

Question 2: Should the university continue to grow?

“Yes, but also grow its facilities with it and extend out instead of consolidating. I feel like they are not expanding in a way that will continue to support the growing population.”

Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here? Why? (Consider- can this question apply to more than just students?)

“No because I transferred from Texas Tech and Tech is huge. I was used to having classes with almost 500 people in them everyday so I am used to large classes.”

Question 4: Do you live on or off campus?

“I live off campus”

Question 5: Do you drive to campus or take the bus?

“I drive and take the bus. I park in a commuter lot then walk to the closest bus stop to get to campus.”

No comments: