Thursday, March 5, 2015

Soaring enrollment could mean crowded classes

By Sam Isenberg

SAN MARCOS- The university has announced a record-high enrollment of over 36,000, and some students are voicing their opinions on the boom in the student population.

The record-setting enrollment of 36,790 for the 2014 fall semester makes Texas State the fourth largest university in Texas, according to a press release from President Denise Trauth.

The student body weighed in on the population growth of the campus, with varying amounts of enthusiasm. Specifically, students had very different feelings about the affect that increased enrollment has had on registering for classes.
 
The continued spike in enrollment has affected exercise and sports science major Danielle Sanders. She said the university needs more resources to continue to grow at this rate.

“As a senior I couldn’t sign up for a class I needed to graduate and now I have to take that class in the summer and will graduate a semester later,” Sanders said.

Ian Vernon is a senior criminal justice major that has been similarly affected by the increased student population. He was allowed to register early but still felt it was hard to get in the classes he needed.

“You still have to register right on time, because there is so many students who register early,” Vernon said. “If you don’t have early registration, it’s really difficult.”

Another criminal justice major, Malaika Hall, said that registration has become a real problem and that the university is close to overpopulation.

“I would just get so stressed out, because some of the classes I wanted, and waited for, I couldn’t register for because they would close so quickly,” Hall said. “There’s not a space for people to continue to grow.”

Chabria Hines, a freshman nursing major, weighed in on the affect the increased enrollment has had on her connection with her professors.
 
“I had a math class that I felt was poorly taught because it was one professor and hundreds of students,” Hines said.

The current median amount of students in an undergraduate class is 24, according to a university press release.

Trent Richter, a senior criminal justice major, said it has been tough to get into the classes that you want.

“Luckily, I’ve still been able to get into the classes I’ve needed,” Richter said. “It just may not be with the professor I want.”

It is clear that the registration struggle is felt across all majors. Marketing student Duncan Lott said that the process of registering for classes is not fun.

“There are a lot of classes that I tried to enroll in and they were already full by the time I tried to enroll,” Lott said. “That actually had a big affect on me.”

Lott also weighed in on the overall size of the student population, saying that it could be a lot better.

“I don’t think they are well-adjusted right now,” Lott said. “I think in a few years we’ll be caught up, work through some kinks and we’ll be prepared.”

The growth of the university seems almost inevitable, but it is clear that some students feel the university’s push for more students may push some students out.

No comments: