Thursday, March 5, 2015

Increasing student growth affects students ability to commute to campus

By: Nicole Kukla

SAN MARCOS- The university achieves an increasing enrollment record for the 17th consecutive year. The continuous growth in student population each year has current students concerned with parking limitations, and commuting to campus.

Senior anthropology major, Noelle Dy-Tuzaon, commutes to campus from Austin, Texas. The most difficult part of her commute is the traffic, and finding parking on campus.


"The worst part is the traffic. I have a parking pass, but it does not guarantee I will get a parking spot."


Ian Vernon also has a parking permit, and expresses the difficulty in actually finding a parking spot. 


“I have a purple pass. Basically, if you’re not here at 7:20 AM, you won’t get a spot.”


Student parking permits range from $100-$500, without a guarantee of parking availability. With the high price for parking, students find other ways to commute to campus. 


Brittany Baker finds other ways to commute to campus, rather than paying for a parking permit. 


 “...Today, for example I parked at my old apartment complex. I live in Austin, but the commuter-parking pass is too expensive for students. I already have gas to pay for.”


Criminal justice senior, Trent Richter, did not purchase a permit this year, and commutes to campus through the bus system. 


"I didn't even get a parking pass this year, just because you still can't find a place to park most of the time. I think the buses are doing as good as they can."


Senior education major, Alexandria Woodward, notices the affects of the growing population by her commute to campus. 


"The town of San Marcos just feels like its shrinking. Traffic is getting worse, places are getting more packed and even campus feels crowded. It's mostly affecting me at my bus stop. I can never get on the first bus and if I do I am standing and squished between two other people." 


Students feel as if more parking and bus routes should be more available, and accommodating to the growth of the university. Chad Petrouski notices not only the university's growth, but also the increase in the city's population. 


"The bus system could be a little bit better tailored around the population growth because there are too few buses running at peak times,” Petrouski said. “I can see it by all the new buildings built around campus.  I read in a newspaper that they are building a hotel or something for people visiting. I would imagine that’s just because of the population. San Marcos can’t handle it.”


No comments: