Monday, September 29, 2014

Diverse Sources

Quotes collected by: Shay Fleming
Rachel Thigpen
Junior, Health Care Admin

Q- “The university had a record enrollment of 35,568 students last year and is expected to have a record or near-record again this year. How has the increased enrollment affected you?”

A- “I haven’t noticed anything directly impacting me, I think.”

Q- “Not at all? What about your class sizes or in areas around campus?”

A- “Uh- my classes have been bigger, even the upper level ones.  I think that’s the biggest thing.”

Q- “Do you live off campus?”

A- “Yes.”

Q- “How do you get to school every day?”

A- “I drive to school and I have perimeter parking. I take the bus from there to campus.”

Q- “What’s parking been like on campus for you?”

A- “Parking hasn’t actually been that bad. It’s actually more- it might be the time I get to campus. I have 8:00 a.m. classes, and not a lot of people are up yet.”

Q- “What about the bus route?”

A- “It’s not so bad in the morning. Like I said, nobody’s up yet. It’s not crowded at 8:00 a.m. When I go back to my car at 6:00 p.m., then it’s crowded. You have to wait and the bus is really full. Everyone is jammed together.”

Q- “Should the university continue to grow?”

A- “Education is really important, but they need to fix the problems with them not having enough housing and with the shuttle routes. They should build more dorms and keep building more housing with the more people they have.”

---
Quotes collected by: Shay Fleming
Brianna Jennings
Junior, 20, Consumer Affairs

“The university had a record enrollment of 35,568 students last year and is expected to have a record or near-record again this year. How has the increased enrollment affected you?”

“It hasn’t, mostly – pretty much all of my classes are on west campus. I’m not near the quad or anywhere near where a lot of people hang out.”

“Do you take the shuttle? About what times do you do that?”

“I take the shuttle anywhere from 9-10 a.m. in the morning, and about around 4:00 p.m. to go home. In the afternoons it’s really hard to get on a bus. There’s a lot of pushing and shoving, and the busses always have everybody standing up. I feel bad for the people who can’t get on.

“What do you think the school can do to counter the issues of growth and overpopulation?”

“I don’t think they need more shuttles, but I think they need to make the schedule times for the tram work better. Sometimes you’ll get like, two busses back to back, and sometimes you’ll be waiting out for the bus forever and you have to worry about being late.

“Do you think the university should continue to grow?”

“They definitely should keep growing, but they need to accommodate more people with housing. They should tear down and rebuild the older dorms and make them bigger and better, and they just need more dorms in general. They should also build more parking lots or maybe a garage. Mostly if there’s gonna be more people, they need more dorms.”

---

Quotes collected by: Shay Fleming
Caitlin Grimes
Sophomore, 19, Psychology

Q- "What bus route do you take?"

A- "Aquarina Springs."

Q- "So, I know there's been a lot of construction over there, and your bus stop got moved. How has that affected your commute?"

A- "The construction's made it take a lot longer to get to school,"

Q- "How do you feel about your stop moving?"

A- "I wish my bus route was back where it had been last semester because now I have to walk a lot farther for my classes."

Q- "What's trying to get on a bus like?"

A- "It's annoying because you never know if you're going to have a bus. If you don't have a spot on the bus when you get here, you might be late to class and you might miss class."

No comments: