Friday, February 21, 2014

Diverse Sources



 Quotes collected by Kaylee Hawk

Source #1: Mark Haskins, mfh33@txstate.edu
Identifying information about source:
Age: 21 years old
Classification: Junior
Geography: Plano, TX
Occupation: Full-time student and part-time student worker for Texas State University Health Center

The university has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
“The traffic’s bad. I think it’s gotten worse since I’ve been here. I can’t deal with the parking here. My class sizes have gotten a little bigger too. It bothers me because I’m not getting enough attention.”

Should the university continue to grow?
“I feel like Texas State has a really high turn-over rate. I think they should be a little more selective because they’re taking kids that aren’t prepared for college. I feel like to be a competitive school we still have to continue to grow, but I think instead of growing our undergraduate program we should continue our research program by offering more PhD’s and graduate programs.”




Source #2: Leah Perez, l_p74@txstate.edu
Identifying information about source:
Age: 20 years old
Classification: Sophomore
Geography: San Angelo, TX
Occupation: Full-time student

The university has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
“It’s crowded. San Marcos has turned into a congested area, and the town isn’t big enough to handle the growing number of students. As for parking, you have to show up about an hour early to find a spot on campus, and even then you aren’t guaranteed a spot. Most of the time parking lots are full by 9:30 a.m. I’m missing out on developing a relationship with my professor that could essentially help me learn better because of the large class size.”

Should the university continue to grow?
“Of course, but it just needs to grow at a slower rate. It really depends on the city. The city should assimilate to the university’s growing population.”











No comments: