Thursday, February 20, 2014

Diverse Sources by Kiara Brooks



Quotes collected by: Kiara Brooks
SOURCE: Stephanie Shulz
Identifying information about source: Anglo American, Junior, age 21, from Dallas, Texas, Student, Photography/Fine Arts Major. Works part-time at University Marketing Department.

Email:ss1934@txstate.edu

Question 1: The University has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
“Parking. I feel like it’s always been bad but now it’s worse. I even have a commuter pass... and still it’s kind of impossible.”
“There is also a lot more crime as the school is growing it seems, or maybe they’re just gotten better at reporting it but it’s just…there’s just so much more people here. There’s more little ‘txstate alerts’ ”.

Question 2: Should the university continue to grow?
“I feel like if it keeps growing, the more they’re going to have to changes and build larger facilities. I know that it would probably affect all of the buildings and that’s not good.”

Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here?
"Not really, I was more looking into the program and the things that I’ve heard from people I knew here. And it’s beautiful, I was like I can do this, this place won’t stress me out. It’s awesome”.

Question 4: If you could offer the university any advice on how to appease to a mass majority of the students and citizen while simultaneously managing things due to the sudden influx of students, what would you suggest?
"I’m not really sure, but I know on LBJ they’re building these new apartments and when it flooded and we got all that rain; I know that it went down to the river. It was so brown, I even got a video of it, it was so horrible. It’s so sensitive and especially with the wild rice, the heads of the university should respect that. They need to take responsibility for that.”


 
Quotes collected by: Kiara Brooks
SOURCE: Caroline Baxter
Identifying information about source: Anglo American, Sophomore, age 20, from Austell, Georgia, Student, Photography/Fine Arts Major. Works part-time at Alvin Ord’s Sandwiches
Email: cjb4@txstate.edu

Question 1: The University has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
“I don’t know if affects me directly but you can definitely see the effect on the town. The traffic’s awful, even pollution is worse, like the trash around the river and Sewell Park has gotten so much worse. The construction too, as more students come, the more construction there is.”

Question 2: Should the university continue to grow?
“I don’t know if they should allow more students to come or if they should just become more selective about their choices. We’re growing so large that we have the opportunity to become a more successful, a more elite school by letting fewer students in, and I think they should take advantage of that instead of more construction, more growth, and letting the same standard of student in.” 

Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here?
"No, I chose San Marcos before I chose Texas State. I couldn’t help it. The first time I came to visit, I was like I don’t care what the school is, I’m staying, you’re not gonna (going) make me leave. ”

Question 4: If you could offer the university any advice on how to appease to a mass majority of the students and citizen while simultaneously managing things due to the sudden influx of students, what would you suggest?
“In their growth and in their construction, take into the consideration that they’re altering the city at large. It’s not just the university that’s growing, they’re forcing San Marcos to grow with them and I think eventually it’s going to start to have negative effects. Not just in traffic but in the rivers, we live in this really amazing ecosystem, one of the really rare ecosystems and that’s taken for granted a lot, I think. Especially in construction.
“They’re building these high-rise 9 story apartments and I know that pissed off a lot of the locals.”

 

Quotes collected by: Kiara Brooks
SOURCE: Zack Brewer
Identifying information about source: Anglo American, single father to two sons, 36, from Austin, Texas, Student, General Agriculture Major with a teaching certificate. Works part time at a fertilizer company and also owns his own company where he delivers agriculture equipment.
Email: z_prew@yahoo.com

Question 1: The University has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
“Not at all, it doesn’t bother me. Well, I commute in from Lockhart and just ride the bus. I mean, I notice that it’s always hard to find a parking spot but that’s normal”

Question 2: Should the university continue to grow?
“Yes, it’s a good university, I like it. It would give us some competition in size to UT.”

Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here?
“No, I’m actually a returning student, I actually went here 10 years ago and always have wanted to come back.”

Question 4: If you could offer the university any advice on how to appease to a mass majority of the students and citizen while simultaneously managing things due to the sudden influx of students, what would you suggest?
“I know there’s a ton of people here. It’s okay to ride the bus, and there’s plenty of room for me to do what I need to do. I’d say just keep doing what they’re doing, it seems to be working.”

Quotes collected by: Kiara Brooks
SOURCE: Montreal Taylor
Identifying information about source: Black and German male, sophomore, age 20, from Sacramento, California, Student, exercise sports science major. Texas State Football Player (receiver). Currently unemployed. Lives at Copper Beech Apartments.
Email: M_t110@txstate.edu



Question 1: The University has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
“I like the diversity, I like seeing different people. It gets boring seeing the same people every day. I play sports too, so more people, more fans. I’m trying to pack the football stadium.”

Question 2: Should the university continue to grow?
“Yes, we have to start knocking stuff down around us, so we won’t be so crowded.”

Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here?
“Not at all, it was just a cool place to come, it was my type of environment. Everyone’s friendly.”

Question 4: If you could offer the university any advice on how to appease to a mass majority of the students and citizen while simultaneously managing things due to the sudden influx of students, what would you suggest?
“I would say just more dining halls, sometimes it’s hard to get food cause (because) there’s so many people at once. There’s not enough, they can make more diverse foods… oh yeah, and stop making things so expensive!”

No comments: