Thursday, October 10, 2013

Record enrollment results in inflated student-to-teacher ratio

Record enrollment results in inflated student-to-teacher ratio
by Jesse Witt

SAN MARCOS – Record setting enrollment reaching more than 35,000, has caused problems for students looking to receive one-on-one time with professors.

According to a university press release, this is the 16th consecutive semester of record enrollment bringing the student-to-teacher ratio to an all-time high.

“I have a class with 300 people and I feel that I can’t have one-on-one interaction with a teacher,” said Bianca Gandaria, a freshman at Texas State. “I’m really outspoken, but in that particular class with so many students I feel like I’m just a number.”

But Gandaria isn’t the only student that feels lost in the crowd. Texas State junior Charles Regalado expressed similar concerns in an interview with the University Star.

“I have one class … there’s like 200 people in there, so it’s pretty large. So I don’t think the teacher even notices what I look like, or if I’m not there,” Regalado said.

Students have also noticed the increased population when seeking scholarships, employment, and positions within student organizations on campus.

“I know a lot of the organizations I’m a part of have grown so much especially with the incoming freshman class being so large,” said senior mass communications student Randi Berkovsky.

Some students feel that the growth has gotten out of control. When asked if the university should continue to expand, Texas State junior Natalie Reyes expressed several concerns.

“I think it’s great that the university is growing but I don’t like being in the midst of it all,” Reyes said. “It seems like they keep accepting more and more students without thinking through the repercussions … we are a small town and we shouldn’t try to become UT.”

However, not every student feels the increased enrollment is negative. Texas State junior Pamela Patino said that despite some crowded areas, the overall growth was good for the school.

“I think it (the university) should grow, but with that, more buildings added, more class rooms so it’s not so packed, but growth is good,” Patino said.

Texas State freshman Zane Reiss also expressed his optimism in regards to future enrollment growth.

"I think as we continue to go … twenty years in the future, Texas State may be one of the biggest and best universities in Texas, it’s got the perfect college town," said Reiss.

Sources Cited:
1. Bianca Gandaria | brg45@txstate.edu
2. Charles Regalado | ctr27@txstate.edu
3. Randi Berkovsky | r_b2@txstate.edu
4. Natalie Reyes | email unknown
5. Pamela Patino | pjp2@txstate.edu
6. Zane Reiss | zane-reiss@txstate.edu

No comments: