Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Quotes Collected by Anthony Monroe (Diverse News Sources)

Source: Randi Berkovsky
Student Worker (Honors College), PR / Mass Comm. Major, Senior | r_b2@txstate.edu
Question 1: The university has a record enrollment of 35,568 students this semester. How has this increased enrollment affected you?
"The only way I think it’s affected me, is maybe, maybe competition as far as applying for scholarships or the job market here on campus or in San Marcos. Maybe it affected me as far as organization growth, I know a lot of the organizations I’m apart of have grown so much especially with the incoming freshman class being so large."
Question 2: Should the university continue to grow? 
"Oh yeah. I think so. If we want to be taken seriously as a university we need to continue to have record growth as far as freshman and transfers. I think people are starting to realize Texas State is improving; our freshman requirements are going up, our ACT and SAT requirements are going up, our athletic department is growing massively as we move through that spectrum, and that, if we want to be seen on par with A&N and UT and all these other colleges we need to continue to grow and continue strive for excellence."
Question 3: Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here?
"Kinda a little bit. I liked it because it felt a little more homey I’m from a really small town, and I didn’t want to go to somewhere like UT where I’d have to trek a thousand miles across campus and I didn’t know anybody and there’s traffic and bicycles and things. I like Texas State because it spoke more to me as a person and that’s why I chose it. I think that’s why a lot of people choose a university, is how it makes them feel. I think it also depends on where you come from as well, so yeah, it played a small factor in choosing."
Question 4: How has the increased growth affected your commute?
"It hasn't affected my commute at all because I walk everyday. I’m assuming that for people that live off campus and ride the bus it’s a nightmare. You see a bus; it’s full. You wait for the next bus; it’s full. I know parking has always been an issue at Texas State and as our population grows we have to adjust our bus routes and parking accordingly, and if we don’t address it it’ll be a big issue in the future." 

No comments: