Friday, February 22, 2013

Texas State and the diversity of graffiti


By: Isamar Terrazas

There have always been different views on whether graffiti should be considered an art or vandalism to property. Last month Crime Stoppers of Texas State were requesting information on the identification of the individuals who posted their markings on the campus grounds. They set out a reward in cash for whoever was able to identify them.
Texas State students and professors also have their personal opinions on the subject matter. We went around asking people at Texas State whether they considered graffiti art or vandalism. Austin Anderson, freshman, said, "I don't like it. I don't consider it artwork, I consider it vandalism. I don't think there's any value to it at all." Jemeka Summerhill, senior, “Well no matter what, it is still vandalism, you know. I mean it is still illegal, you know. I think that sometimes it’s nice, but they shouldn’t do it on private property. Professor and academic advisor, Harry Bowers, said, “It’s a nuisance, it’s ugly, it’s unfortunate. People choose to deface campus; whether they are students are not. So personally, no, I don’t obviously like it, I wish we could get it under control.”
There are also those who consider graffiti as an art. Larry Center is a junior who considers it an art because not anyone can do it, like himself. Amanda Wright said, “It depends on what the intention was.” Thomas Hobbs stated, "If someone does some graffiti, it doesn’t really affect or impact my life really. I’m kind of indifferent to it."
The information collected showed how there is a variety of opinions with a variety of people. No two persons gave the exact same reason about what they thought of graffiti.
Crime Stoppers of Texas State are still looking for the individuals or groups that were involved in the graffiti on campus. For more information, visit the Texas State website. 

No comments: