Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Texas State speaks out on graffiti



Due to the recent increase of graffiti on campus, Texas State University students and faculty speak up about he issue.

Junior Larry Centers is one that truly believes that graffiti is an art form.

"If it's something they can create that is productive and interesting and other people want to see it, I don't see why you would try and keep it away from them," Centers said.

Baylee Stokes also believes “graffiti is art." The junior says, “I like the expression” and she doesn’t think that washing it off is the appropriate way to punish them.

While Centers and Stokes are positive that graffiti is art, James Almanza is on the fence about the issue.

“I feel like it's an expression of art, but it certain places it can be vandalism.  But mainly I feel its people expressing themselves, maybe in an inappropriate way."

Although many view graffiti as art, others such as professor Dorinda Nobel believe it is vandalism.

“It’s nasty, I don’t like it,” said Nobel. She pointed out that it is against university policy and that there are other ways for people to express their creativity.

"I don't like it. I don't consider it artwork, I consider it vandalism. I don't think there's any value to it at all," said freshman Austin Anderson.

“It’s a nuisance, it’s ugly, it’s unfortunate,” said Harry Bowers, an advisor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication . “People choose to deface campus, whether they are students are not."


Crime Stoppers of Texas State is offering money for the identity of the people responsible of the graffiti on campus. If you have any information dealing with graffiti, contact Crime Stoppers anonymously by calling 512-245-STOP or by emailing crimestoppers@txstate.edu.

No comments: