Thursday, October 4, 2012

What is smoking ban?


What is smoking ban?
By: Madison Williams

The smoking ban at Texas State University has been in effect for over a year and yet students still refuse to follow it. 

Junior Jacob Tinsley believes that the smoking ban is unnecessary and does not agree with it.

 "I'm not very happy about it," said Tinsley who had recently lived in a dorm. He went on to say that he had to walk long distances just to enjoy a cigarette.

Sociology Major Cristina Hernandez has a different opinion on the smoking ban.

 "I think the smoking ban is a positive thing. I think it is a good thing to have a campus filled with clean air and clean lungs."

Hernandez is not alone in believing in the positive effects that this ban can have on campus. Cassie Deardorff, a Texas State sophomore, also believes in the positive effects.

“I think it’s awesome, I think it makes it [the campus] a friendlier and happier place to be,” said Deardorff who is passionate about the subject.

The smoking ban hasn’t affected sophomore Mario Garrati, who smokes because he says it gives him a buzz.

"I didn't even know they were enforcing it but if they’re going to give me citations, I guess I'll hide my smoking better."

Most students who agree with the ban still believe that if students want to smoke they should be allowed to. Paul Bissett, 22-year-old geography major, doesn’t smoke but feels if students want to they’re going to do it anyways.

"I enjoy the fact that campus is cleaner but I know that people break the rules and smoke anyways, and for that purpose there should be a place for them to go with ashtrays," said Bissett.

English Major Madeline Hays spoke up when asked how she felt about the smoking ban. 

"I don't know, I guess some parents and some more uptight students might be like, oh, smoke free, they're looking out for our health. I don't think it does anything as tremendous as they thought it was going to."

Although the smoking has been in effect since Aug. 1, 2011 students are still unsure about the measures campus police are taking to stop smoking on campus. Until then, according to students, Texas State is still a smoking campus.

No comments: